This morning was one of the monthly working parties down at the WWA and today we started work on the new nature pond that we are creating.
Previous attempts had been made at digging the pond out by hand, but we soon realised that doing so would be a little bit more difficult than we first imagined. Instead we hired a mini digger for this working party so that we could make a real difference in starting the pond, rather than just the shallow attempt we had before.
Mr C looked like a small child at Christmas when he got to use the digger and I'm pleased to say that he seemed to be doing a pretty proficient job of it. Maybe he should consider JCB driver as a new career choice if the current one doesn't work out.
The aim is for the pond to provide a habitat for amphibian and insects that like to live in or near water. It looked like some creatures were already impressed with the work we'd done as we managed to see several newts in the water, as well as a pond skater on the surface and this little frog in the grass nearby. They do say that nature will start to inhabit new ponds pretty quickly, but we had no idea it would be quite this quick!