As a kid I was mesmerised by watching children eat cereal in American films. It always just looked so exciting compared to the boring cornflakes that I always used to have for breakfast. American children’s breakfast bowls seemed to full of bright colours. It always looked so much more fun.
Fast forward many years and I was still very excited to be contacted by Post Cereals with an offer to send me some of their American cereals, that are now available in UK supermarkets for the first time. That fascination with American cereals continues today though as my 13 year old step-daughter was nearly as excited to see my unpack the box as I was.
And what better way to celebrate Halloween, a time of year that Americans have really come to own over recent years, than by coming up with some sweet treats based on what Post Cereals sent me.
Creepy Crunch Cones
This incredibly simple recipe gives kids something a bit different to eat this Halloween.
- Ice cream cones
- Marshmallow Mateys or Chocolate Marshmallow Mateys
- Melted chocolate
- Plain biscuits (like a digestive)
- Halloween themed cake decorations or small sweets
- Fill an ice cream cone with a handful of (Chocolate) Marshmallow Mateys
- Pipe the edge of the cone with melted chocolate, or dip it into melted chocolate before filling
- Place a biscuit on top and pipe more melted chocolate around the edges to seal it
- Turn upside down and then decorate the outside of the cone with Halloween themed cake decorations or sweets
These really are ridiculously easy to make and only take a matter of minutes, yet look effective when on a table all decorated for a Halloween party.
These Marshmallow Mateys would also work perfectly in a twist to a traditional cornflake crispy cake. Just melt butter, chocolate and golden syrup together in a pan until all combined. The just stir in Marshmallow Mateys and mix until all combined. Fill up bun cases then allow to set in the fridge. The marshmallows would add a lovely bust of colour, much like they do in a bowl full of cereal.
Cocoa Pebbles, Waffle Crisp. Marshmallow Mateys, Chocolate Marshmallow Mateys and S’mores are now available in the UK thanks to Post Cereals.
Post Cereals are available nationwide in Tesco and Morrison US supermarket fixtures and online in Ocado.
Disclaimer: We were sent a selection of Post Cereals for the purposes of this post. All opinions remain my own.